Sunday, January 4, 2009

Another quick roll recipe that makes a lot!


Lion House Rolls

  • 2 cups warm water
  • 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
  • 2 T. dry yeast (I use quickrise)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1/3 cup shortening (I use butter) at room temp
  • 1 egg
  • 5-6 cups flour (I use about 5 1/2 cups- just want it to be slightly sticky so you can roll it out easily)
  • melted butter, about 1/4 cup

  1. Combine the water and the milk powder and stir so the milk dissolves. Mix in the yeast, sugar, salt, shortening, egg, and 2 cups of the flour.
  2. Keep adding flour and mixing it in until the dough is not overly sticky.
  3. Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and let it rise until it is double in size (about 45 minutes).
  4. Take dough and roll out on floured countertop into a big rectangle about 13x10 or so (doesn't matter too much).  Brush on melted butter.
  5. Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into little rectangles, roughly 2 inches by 5 inches, but it really just depends how big you want your rolls and how your big rectangle turned out. (I get about 24-30 rectangles).
  6. Now, take the little rectangles and roll them up so they look like snail shells. Like them up on greased cookie sheets about an inch apart.
  7. Cover them with the plastic or towel again, and let them rise again until they have doubled in size (about another 45 minutes). Bake at 375 for 15-18 minutes until sufficiently browned.
These are another great non-knead non-bread machine roll. I think I can be done trying roll recipes because I've already posted my faves! Well, I think I have a bread-machine roll I haven't posted yet, but maybe another time. Time-wise, start making these at about 3:00 if you want them for a 5:30 meal.

2 comments:

TisforTonya said...

if only you'd posted this 3 hours earlier - we might have avoided our roll disaster yesterday... oh well, it all worked out in the end :)

cold cocoa said...

What happened? I know you made monkey bread, but what happened before that?