Thursday, June 9, 2011

Brownies that make me sooo happy inside


Brownies for a Crowd
(from realmomkitchen.com)

  • 8 eggs (when halved, I do 3)
  • 2 teaspoons salt 
  • 2 cups of butter, melted  (I cut butter in half, either adding sour cream/apple sauce for the other half)
  • 1 1/2 cups Hershey’s cocoa
  • 4 cups sugar (when halved I use 1 1/3 c. sugar successfully)
  • 4 teaspoons vanilla 
  • 3 cups flour 
Beat eggs with a mixer in a large bowl. Then add sugar, salt, vanilla and beat for 1 minute. 

Add melted butter and blend. In another bowl, mix flour and cocoa with a whisk until well blended.

Add flour mixture to egg mixture and mix until well combined. 

Spread onto a greased jelly roll pan (12 x 17) and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. You could probably half this recipe and bake it in a 9X13 pan. Cool for 15 minutes and spread with frosting. 

Frosting

  • 4 cups powdered sugar 
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened 
  • 1/2 cup cocoa 
  • milk 


Blend powdered sugar, butter, and cocoa along with enough milk to make the frosting a spreadable consistency. You do not want to add more than 1/2 cup of milk or your frosting will be too wet. You want a thick frosting that's barely spreadable. Spread over the brownies after they had cooled for 15 minutes. Keep spreading as the frosting melts making it even on the brownies. Allow brownies to continue to cool. Makes 30 good sized brownies.

Okay, initially I wasn't going to make these brownies because the recipe calls for 8 eggs and 2 cups butter!  I know there are plenty of great recipes out there that use a lot less of both of those.  However, I did need to make a ton of brownies and when I rationalized with myself it made sense that if I am going to get 50 brownies from the recipe, then using that much butter and eggs  was natural.  And these brownies are fudge-ey and amazing!  The frosting just sinks in, with some left on top.  Just cut them up small and you'll be okay.  You can share with the whole neighborhood after all! 

1 comment:

LC said...

Bringing these to the family party. I may have to sample them first:) They cooked beautifully--23 minutes.