Thursday, July 21, 2011

Summer Corn Salad- something different from normal steamed corn!


Summer Corn Salad
from melskitchencafe.com

*Serves 4
6 ears of corn, shucked (I used frozen sweet corn I cooked as usual and drained)
1/2 cup finely diced red onion
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half (I used cut regular tomatoes)
3 tablespoons cider or red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup julienned fresh basil leaves (I skipped)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. When boiling, add one tablespoon sugar and one tablespoon vinegar. Add the cobs of corn to the pot of water and bring to a rolling boil. Cover the pot, remove from the heat and let the corn sit for 10 minutes. Remove the corn from the pot. When the corn is cool, cut the kernels off the cob, cutting close to the cob.
Toss the kernels in a medium bowl with the red onions, tomatoes, vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Just before serving, toss in the fresh basil. Add additional salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Serve cold or at room temperature.

I have never thought outside the box when it comes to corn.  I cook the bagged or canned corn in the microwave, add a little salt and butter, and call it good.  Well, this recipe is such a NICE change!  Great for summer, great for anytime.  I loved the tanginess.  I imagine it would taste even better with fresh corn but we just didn't have that available (waiting for it to be 4 for $1.)

No comments: