Overnight Crock Pot Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 3/4 cup water (I subbed in some apple juice for some of the water)
- Optional toppings: fresh fruit, milk, nuts, raisins etc.
1. Spray an oven safe dish (mine is corningware and it is about 1.7 quarts) that fits into your 5-7 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. (Inside the bowl, not the bare unit)
2. Place all ingredients inside dish and stir to combine.
3. Place dish directly inside slow cooker insert. Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for about 7-9 hours.
4. Remove dish carefully and serve with desired toppings.
365daysofcrockpot.com likes using the dish inserted into the crockpot because this way you don't lose a lot of the oats from sticking to the crockpot dish, all cooked and crusty. This was a great breakfast, adaptable to whatever you like in your oatmeal. Why steel cut oats? More fiber and longer to digest than regular oats, keeping you full longer are a few of the reasons. They are nuttier than normal oats and a different part of the oat with a different shape. It's worth trying them!