(adapted from Paula Deen)
- 4 eggs (I subbed ground flax seed for 2 of the eggs)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 15-ounce can pumpkin
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened (1/3 less fat is great)
- 2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy. Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth. Spread the batter into a greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan for cake size or cookie sheet with sides for the bar cookies. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting. Cut into bars.
To make the icing: Combine the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla. Mix at low speed until combined. Spread on cooled pumpkin bars. We like them refrigerated- better the next day and day after...if they last.
These are great! I really think since the icing is so rich and good it doesn't hurt anything to try to make the base healthier. Especially when the taste is so good in the end!