- 2 cubes of Butter (1 cup) I like to use salted
- 2 cups of Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Light Corn Syrup
- 2 14oz cans of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
Before you get started get a bowl of ice water ready and set next to the stove.
- In a large heavy bottom saucepan melt the butter. Add the sugar, corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk.
- Stir constantly on medium high heat until it comes to a rolling boil. Turn down heat to medium. Continue to stir constantly to avoid scorching. If it does start to scorch, turn the heat down a little.
- Stir until it starts to get a little darker. Check to see if it is done by spooning a little of the caramel into a bowl of ice water.
- Continue to check the caramel until it is the consistency you want (mixture forms a soft ball- took about 15 minutes or so of constant stirring). When it is right, remove from heat and add the vanilla.
- Pour into a greased pan. I use a cookie sheet. Let completely cool before cutting and eating. It takes a few hours for it to completely cool and set up. The longer you wait the better.
Delicious and easy! Just make sure you keep stirring!