Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Best Enchilada Soup- Chili's copycat. Crockpot



Chicken Enchilada Soup {Chili’s Copycat}
this recipe makes a lot- I usually halve it
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 medium onions, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 quart chicken stock ( I used Just Like Bouillon with water)
  • 1 tablespoon chicken soup base (I took it down a little)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 (8 oz). can tomato sauce
  • 1 (19 oz.) can enchilada sauce (or two 10 oz. cans) I used this quick recipe
  • 1 cup masa harina (or 6 small corn tortillas, minced, I blended mine in the blender)
  • 16 oz. Velveeta, cubed
  • 1 (22 oz.) bag Tyson roasted and diced chicken, thawed (I just threw my 1 or 2 breasts in the crockpot)
  • 1 can whole kernel corn, drained (optional)
  • 1 can black beans, drained (optional)
  • Garnishes: pico de gallo, sour cream, shredded cheese, crunchy tortilla strips

1. In a skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, and saute the onions until they are tender. Add the minced garlic and cook another minute or two, then scrape the onions and garlic into your crock pot.
2. Add all the other ingredients, except the chicken (unless you're using the uncooked chicken), corn and black beans. Cook over high heat for 4 hours or low for 5-7. However you work your crockpot magic. Whisk until smooth (you may wish to use a stick blender).
3. Add the chicken pieces, corn and black beans and heat through, maybe another 30 minutes to one hour. Check seasonings, and garnish as you like before serving.

This is so great!  I've made it twice already.  The tortillas thicken it up nicely and add a nice flavor, even though I usually don't go for corn tortillas.  The velveeta adds a nice richness and creaminess.  I have two other recipes for Enchilada Soup on this site, but one uses cream of chicken soup and one uses little pastas so they all have a place here.

No comments: