Indian Butter Chicken
- 1/2 cup butter, 2 T which are used to saute onion and garlic
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (I used about 1/3 t. garlic powder)
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 12 oz. can skim or 2% evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 c. whole milk (or 2 %)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used just a sprinkle)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala (you find this in the spice aisle anywhere)
- 2-3 chicken breasts, thawed and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 T. curry powder
- Melt a few tablespoons of butter in a big skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook slowly until the onion is mostly translucent. Add chicken and heat until no longer pink, stirring regularly.
- Turn heat to low and add remaining butter to the pan along with the tomato sauce, milks, salt, cayenne pepper, garam masala, and curry powder. Simmer on low until thickened.
- Serve over rice with your choice of vegetables. We liked steamed peas and broccoli.
And here's a crock pot version we love just the same, if not more because pre-prep is wonderful!
Slow Cooker Indian Butter Chicken
(adapted from allrecipes.com)
|1.||Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes. Stir in the curry powder, garam masala, and tomato paste until no lumps of tomato paste remain. Pour into a slow cooker, and stir in the coconut milk and yogurt. Season to taste with salt.|
|2.||Cook on High 4 to 6 hours, or on Low 6 to 8 hours until the chicken is tender and the sauce has reduced to your desired consistency. Shred chicken and serve.|