- 4 eggs
- 3/4 c. milk
- 3 T. brown sugar
- 1 t. nutmeg
- 12 slices bread
- cinnamon for sprinkling
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk, brown sugar and nutmeg; stir well to combine.
- Soak bread slices in the egg mixture until saturated.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Brown slices on both sides, sprinkle with cinnamon and serve hot.
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 c. butter (real butter is great)
- 1/2 c. buttermilk (I use 1/2 c. milk with 1/2 T. vinegar for a buttermilk substitute)
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1 t. vanilla
I've always struggled making french toast that isn't soggyish in the middle. I liked this recipe, and the tip from my sister-in-law to cook 3-4 min. each side on 350 on your griddle. This syrup is rich and not super-healthy but sure tastes good and is a nice change from maple!