- Tastes Like Lasagna Soup
- (from Paula Deen)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (I skipped)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (threw in a little garlic powder instead)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 (32-ounce) box chicken broth
- 2 (14.5-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups broken lasagna noodles (I used those cute little Ditalinis)
- 1 (5-ounce) package grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
In a large pot, combine ground beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until beef is browned and crumbles. Drain well.
Stir in thyme, brown sugar, broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes. Add noodles, and simmer until noodles are tender. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Serve with optional cheese, croutons, and/or french bread.
This was a fun take on lasagna! It was pretty quick to throw together and we found it really good. Of course, my kids will prefer regular old spaghetti over this soup, but I imagine most kids would find it rather appealing with all the optional add-ins and the fun little pasta.