Balsamic Chicken Sandwich
(from Parade Magazine- Jerry Seinfeld's favorite sandwich)
- 2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/4 c. whole wheat flour (I used white)
- 3 T. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
- 6 T. brown sugar
- 1/2 c. broccoli puree (steam about a cup and then puree- optional-but my kids hate seeing green flecks on their chicken!)
- 6 rolls or french bread
- 6 large slices tomato
- 1/2 cup part-skim mozzarella
2. Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and garlic. Lower heat to medium an continue to cook until chicken begins to brown, about 8-10 minutes.
3. Add broth, vinegar and brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Add puree and cook 2-3 minutes more. Preheat oven to 350.
4. Place tomatoes on rolls or bread, distribute chicken evenly over top and then sprinkle with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and bread is toasted, about 5 minutes. Watch closely! Serve.
I loved this chicken! Half the family enjoyed it, the 2 youngest are pickiest and frowned on the green puree. Might have to skip that next time, because the chicken is sweet-sour, which is kid-friendly and yummy. We thought Jerry enjoyed a good sandwich!