Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cream Puff Dessert



Cream Puff Dessert


1 cup water
1/2 cup butter (no substitutes)
1 cup flour 

4 eggs

In saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to boil. At this point, remove from heat, add to your mixing bowl and add your flour, mixing until a smooth ball forms.Let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until smooth. Spread into a greased 9x13 pan. You can also put it on a cookie sheet to make more, thinner pieces. Bake at 400 for 30-35 mins or until puffy and golden. Cool completely.

Filling:
1 pkg (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened (use light or non-fat if you want)
3 1/2 cups cold milk
2 pkgs (3.9 ounces each) instant chocolate pudding mix (or vanilla if you'd rather- also, you can use sugar-free pudding if you want!)

Beat cream cheese, milk until smooth.  Add pudding mix  and mix until smooth. Spread over puff. Refrigerate for at least 20 mins.

Topping:
1 carton (8 ounces) cool whip
chocolate syrup
caramel syrup
chopped almonds (optional)

Spread cool whip on top. Drizzle with chocolate and caramel syrup. Sprinkle almonds.  Serve!  OR:

optional second topping: (I haven't tried this yet but this is a variation on this recipe and want to try it next time, but it is plenty delicious without!):


1/2 cup chocolate chips
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup powdered sugar

Melt in the microwave the chocolate chips and butter. Then stir in the milk and powder sugar. Once well incorporated, drizzle on top of the whip cream. Put in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. Enjoy!

I liked the versatility of this recipe.  The crust isn't sweet- in fact, it kind of reminds me of a german pancake, but I've had cream puffs that give me the same flavor, and it's one I like in contrast to the sweet topping.  It's a light dessert that tastes great.

4 comments:

M Hastings said...

Looks DELICIOUS! XD

Blondee said...

I happened upon your page today, marvelous looking cream puff dessert!!!

Lisa said...

Yum, this certainly looks elegant, not to mention delicious. I bet this gets a lot of oohs and aahs when you bring this out for dessert. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link your dessert up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/02/sweets-for-saturday-4.html

Susan Lindquist said...

I have been toying with playing with the idea of a pop-over filled with sweet stuff ... this recipe is convincing me that I must try it!

Looks excellent! And... by the way... I love the design of your blog!