Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Oatmeal Bread


Oatmeal Bread

1 cups oats
2 cups water
2/3 cups brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons oil
2 packages yeast (or about 2 tablespoons)
1/3 cup warm water
pinch of sugar
2 teaspoon salt
5 cups flour

  1. Boil water and pour over oats.  Let cool.  
  2. Add brown sugar and oil.  
  3. Dissolve yeast in 1/3 c. water.  Sprinkle with a pinch of sugar.  Let raise and add to rest of mixture.  
  4. Stir in salt, add flour, and knead by hand til dough is smooth.  
  5. Leave dough in same bowl, cover with a towel, and let raise for 1 hour.  
  6. Divide dough and form into two loaves.  Grease bread pans and sprinkle with oats.  Place loaves into pans. 
  7.  Let raise again for 1 hour and then bake at 350F for 35 minutes. (I usually warm the oven to 120-ish and let it rise for 30 minutes to cut time).
This is a yummy bread!  I usually do half wheat, half white, and you'd never know the wheat-ness.  Yes, this bread is a little sweet, but who is complaining?  Not me!  It has great flavor and I've made it several times with success.  For me, I make it in my 9 inch loaf pan and a mini-loaf.  Or, you can get two smaller 9 inch loaves.  

No comments: