1 cups oats
2 cups water
2/3 cups brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons oil
2 packages yeast (or about 2 tablespoons)
1/3 cup warm water
pinch of sugar
2 teaspoon salt
5 cups flour
- Boil water and pour over oats. Let cool.
- Add brown sugar and oil.
- Dissolve yeast in 1/3 c. water. Sprinkle with a pinch of sugar. Let raise and add to rest of mixture.
- Stir in salt, add flour, and knead by hand til dough is smooth.
- Leave dough in same bowl, cover with a towel, and let raise for 1 hour.
- Divide dough and form into two loaves. Grease bread pans and sprinkle with oats. Place loaves into pans.
- Let raise again for 1 hour and then bake at 350F for 35 minutes. (I usually warm the oven to 120-ish and let it rise for 30 minutes to cut time).
This is a yummy bread! I usually do half wheat, half white, and you'd never know the wheat-ness. Yes, this bread is a little sweet, but who is complaining? Not me! It has great flavor and I've made it several times with success. For me, I make it in my 9 inch loaf pan and a mini-loaf. Or, you can get two smaller 9 inch loaves.