Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The ultimate curry experience!


Coconut Chicken Curry
(adapted from allrecipes)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 white onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed ( or 1/4 t. powder)
  • 1-2 chicken breasts - chopped
  • 1 small head cauliflower, chopped (I use a bag of frozen cauliflower)
  • 2 potatoes, cubed (I microwaved for 5 minutes until fork-tender)
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons yellow curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt (I just sprinkled a little)
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 T lime juice
  • dash of cayenne pepper
  • 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk (I used lite)
  • 1/3 cup chicken stock
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook until tender. Mix in the chicken, and cook 10 minutes, or until juices run clear.
  2. Mix the cauliflower, curry powder, garlic salt, brown sugar, red pepper, lime juice and potatoes into the skillet. Pour in the coconut milk and chicken stock. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes. Serve over rice.
We loved this! Not the kids...too flavorful and "spicy", but sometimes you need to make dinners that just the sophisticated eaters can enjoy! Russell said he couldn't believe that we could make curry taste like this at home with easy t0 find ingredients. He has an Indian restaurant he loves and says this is very much the same except the restaurant has more sauce and less chicken/veggies. I can fix that! I've tried a few curry recipes, but this one takes the cake. We will make this again and again!

3 comments:

LC said...

This sounds great! I'm going to give it a try--minus the hot pepper though.

cold cocoa said...

Lc- do, and let me know!

LC said...

I tried this today and our house has never smelled so exotic. We loved it.
I forgot to buy cauliflower so I just used more chicken and potatoes. Also eliminated the cayenne. I was too chicken to use all the curry so I used half the amt and I put in lemon instead of lime juice--didn't have any of that either.
Turned out great! Reminded me of the Indian dish I have been craving for years and haven't been able to find--I think it was the curry and the coconut mix--yum.
I'll be adding this to the family repertoire. Thanks bud!