Friday, January 8, 2010

A crock pot dinner kids will enjoy!


Honey Sauced Chicken
(from mmmcafe.blogspot.com)

3/4 pound chicken (of your choice)
1/2 tsp. salt (I skipped, but did sprinkle a little)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 T chopped onion (or 1 T onion flakes)
2 T ketchup
1 T. vegetable oil
1 clove garlic, minced (I just sprinkled some garlic powder)
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
optional: a couple tablespoons cornstarch mixed with water to add at the end to thicken sauce

Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper, put into crock pot. In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic and pepper flakes. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 3 hours or on high 1 1/2 hours. Chicken into bite size pieces, then return to pot and toss with sauce. Serve over rice or noodles.

Who doesn't love a good crock pot dinner? I was up for trying a new recipe, though I feared, and the fear continued as I smelled it cooking, that it would taste just like teriyaki chicken. Now, I love Teriyaki and all, but I wanted a different flavor. And luckily, when I tasted it, my worries flew away. So this is more honey-based than soy sauce-based, so the overall flavor is honey-ish, but not overpoweringly so. Which makes it super kid-friendly. We all enjoyed the flavor, and will make this again.

4 comments:

stephanie said...

think I am going to try this one. Crock pot meals are my favorite

Cristina said...

Whoa--I guess I haven't checked your blog for awhile. Lots of new recipes to try! As always, thanks for the great new ideas!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kmlmgm said...

Great recipe, my kids loved it! I appreciate your hard work, I imagine blogging is tough. I especially love this site because your tastes seem similar to mine, as does your cooking style. Thanks for giving me some new ideas!