Friday, March 5, 2010

Such a great dinner, I promise!



Chicken and Broccoli Braid
(adapted from pampered chef)

  • 2 (8oz) packages refrigerated crescent rolls (I used pizza dough instead, I dont really like the flavor of crescent rolls from the store)
  • 2 c. coarsely chopped cooked chicken (I used rotisserie; canned chicken could work well too)
  • 1 1/2 c. coarsely chopped broccoli (I steamed it lightly first)
  • 1/2 C diced red bell pepper (I skipped because I had none, but used some sun-dried tomatoes and caramelized onions I had)
  • 1/3 C mayonnaise
  • 1-2 c. cheddar cheese
  • 2 tsp dried dill weed
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 garlic clove, pressed (I skipped)
  • 1 egg white, lightly beaten

1. Preheat oven to 375. In a bowl, combine chicken, broccoli, cheese, bell pepper, mayonnaise, dill, salt and garlic. Mix well.
2. Roll out rolls or dough into the size of your cookie sheet, then lay it in the greased cookie sheet.
3. Place filling along the center of the dough, lengthwise. Cut slits into the dough along the sides about 2 inches, braiding over top. Look at mine- it's not that pretty but it did the job.
4. Brush with egg white. Bake 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.

We loved this. Like I mention, try the pizza dough if you aren't a fan of crescent rolls. The flavor of this meal is great, and it's got a good serving of veggies in there, too! This meal doesn't take that long if you have prepared chicken ready as well as dough. It is very flexible, too...add mushrooms, different cheeses and veggies- whatever suits you.

1 comment:

TisforTonya said...

I'm going to have to try this one again with the pizza dough substitution - I thought Haven was the only one who hated refrigerated crescent rolls :)