Friday, March 6, 2009

Mac N Cheese Crockpot style


Crockpot Macaroni and Cheese
  • 8 oz macaroni noodles (that is two cups dry noodles)
  • 2 c. milk (I used 1 %)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 t. kosher salt (use whatever you have)
  • 1/4 t. pepper
  • 2 c. cheddar cheese (I used 1 1/2 c. and threw in an ounce or so of velveeta at the end)
  1. Spray crockpot with cooking spray.
  2. In separate bowl, mix egg with milk until well blended. Add salt and pepper and cheese.
  3. Add macaroni and pour mixture into crockpot.
  4. Important: cook on low for 2 hours, making sure to watch the crockpot closely after that first hour, because when pasta is cooked, you want to stop the cooking so it's not a mushy mess. Mine took 1 hour and 45 minutes. Then I just kept the crockpot on warm until dinner.
Eat!

This was actually quite delicious! I made it for my kids, but I thought it was dang good. A nice "real cheese" version to the box. And thought it's not entirely hands-off, it's still pretty easy! This made enough for our family, but just barely. It is rich so it goes farther. I added velveeta (2% kind) at the end to give it a more yellow color (for the kids) and to add some extra creaminess.

3 comments:

Sara said...

I love the sound of this! I'm always looking for new crockpot recipes. And how can you go wrong with mac and cheese?

Cristina said...

We tried this last night, Danny was sick so I wanted something quick that the kids would like. It was really yummy, Thanks for the recipes!

priscilla joy said...

Oh yum! I don't care for mac n' cheese but I think I would love this!