Herb & Cheese Focaccia BreadAdapted from Taste of Home, (from wonintheoven.blogspot.com)
- 2 1/4 tsp. or one packet of active dry yeast (not quick rise) (I actually used SAF yeast (instant), just used almost 2 t., and it worked fine- just mix it into the dry ingredients)
- 1 cup warm water (110-115 F)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- Dash of Pepper
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water for 5 minutes.In the meantime mix salt, sugar, garlic powder, oregano, basil, parsley, and pepper in a little bowl.
- After yeast is dissolved, add the olive oil, spice mixture, and 1 1/2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Knead with dough hook for about 6-8 minutes OR alternatively turn onto floured surface and knead by hand until smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled about 1 hour.Punch dough down. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Shape into a 13x9 inch rectangle. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.Brush with oil; sprinkle with cheeses and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack.
This made great sandwiches! A nice change from bread or rolls, and not that hard to make, I promise. You just have to work it into your meal plan timing-wise.