- 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided (3/4 cup for cake, 1/2 c. for topping)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa, divided (1/4 cup for cake, 1/4 c. for topping)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups hot water
- ice cream
2. Stir in milk, butter and vanilla; beat until smooth.
3. Pour batter into ungreased 9-inch square baking pan.
4. Stir together remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa; (I just use the same bowl- don't worry about batter remnants) sprinkle mixture evenly over batter.
5. Pour hot water over top; do not stir.
6. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until center is almost set. Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes.
7. Serve in dessert dishes, spooning sauce from bottom of pan over top. Garnish with whipped topping (we prefer ice cream!). About 8 servings.
This has been a family favorite for a long time! How can you not be pleased with a chocolate cake that has it's own hot fudge built in? It is quick and great. You can double this recipe and put it in a 13x9 pan for a bigger crowd.